Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Outrage over toddler run over by vans followed by passers-by not helping

It made to the prime news in US. Very sad!!! This is not an isolated incident that I want to believe.

It is the worst of public behavior in a civilized society. I try to find answers.

1. It could be the product of lack of education due to the Cultural Revolution. The parents without good education would have strong effect on the current generation. My theory anyway.

Definitely demonstrates our failure of education and lack of general awareness on how to react in such situations. Education is not just a tool to get a good job, but also teaches us how to be a good human being and a good citizen.

2. It could be our culture. Do you remember the poem roughly translated as follows? Only sweep the snow from your doorstep and do not care much about the snow flake on the roof of your neighbor’s house.

3. Most likely it is the publicized cases that the Samaritans were punished. The judge who ordered the Samaritan to pay the expenses for helping an old lady who fell should be prosecuted. The judge could have no training and could be the result of Cultural Revolution. I bet China will set up laws to protect Samaritans.

Also, why did the parents let the kid running around?

When I watched how the passers-by moved the guy under a burning car in US risking their lives, I asked myself would I do it myself. The answer is a shameful ‘no’. In US, their insurance companies tell the doctors do not help a dying stranger in the street as it would cost an expensive lawsuit. So, it is not a China-only problem.


In the old days, I bet it had happened many times but they were never publicized. When we do not know the events, we never find ways to fix the problem.

Another instance that internet and the surveillance cameras (though I do not like it myself) could change the public behavior of a nation. We do not gain respect on how rich we are but how we behave in public. The child did not die for nothing if we can learn our lesson and set up laws to ensure it will never happen again.

1 comment:

  1. “The driver tHought that if that toddler died, he only need to pay fine between 10,000-20,000 Yuan but if that toddler survived, the driver must bear the consequences the rest of his life so the driver keep run over that toddler with hope that toddler died.”

    ReplyDelete