Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dear recent college graduates,

Many of you do not have a job for over 2 years. Your generation of some EU countries have 50% or so unemployment. Do not be frustrated and we're seeing the light from the tunnel.

I had similar experience. After graduation I had no job. It was only 1 month (lucky me compared to today's graduates) but it seemed to me more than a year of desperation. The worst is that I ran out of money and my student visa had expired. I was so jealous of my room mates going to work, and they may be jealous of me for sleeping all day long. Some harsh words would hurt a lot but I pretended to be sleeping and crying inside. I was ashamed of not sharing my part of the rent.

It turns out to be a good experience. For example, I have not wasted a dollar since then. At that time, with that whole dollar I can kill 3 hours by watching double features. Too much free time drove me crazy.

It is a similar lesson I learned from my co-worker who lived through the depression. He finished his plate completely without leaving a speck of food.

If you like to protest for income disparity, bankers not going to jail for their crimes, plutocracy... by occupying your local city hall, it is fine to let some steam out, but you need to obey the law. Life is full of injustice. The best to resolve them is to prepare yourself so you will be in a position to make a difference.

You should also know most rich folks obtain their wealth by working hard (with many starting with nothing) and taking chances. Gates and Buffett even give back all their wealth to charities.

The economic problem gives us a temporary setback. Hopefully, we will look back and treat them as good lessons that we cannot learn from schools except by experiencing it. It is life's ups and downs. Without the downs, life would be no meaning and we do not appreciate and treasure the ups.

We should not let our destiny control our life, and the strong ones (I am not among them) can change their destinies. Bad experiences in life always make us a stronger man/woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment