Sunday, September 7, 2014

Anatomny of a joke

A church-goer told me that my jokes were not funny in front of many of my friends. My readers including fund managers, business owners and professionals told me otherwise. My conclusion is that you need an education to understand my jokes, so I do not blame her. An open mind helps but it is not required.

As defined by me, the anatomy of a joke is something that is unusual unless you’re 10 year old or younger. It has one or all of the criteria below.

- Ridiculously exaggerated.
- Body (female and male) parts we do not discuss/show normally unless you have something extraordinary.
- Words with double meaning.

So, about 30% of the jokes are about sex. If you do not believe me, turn on the cable TV tonight, count and classify the jokes.

Here is one good example of a good joke (not written by me) to satisfy most criteria described above. It is brief and effective. It is a classical joke written many years ago and was widely distributed. The writer should get a Nobel Prize (exaggerated) to make so many folks laugh in just a short time without costing anything. Here it is:

We were supposed to have 8″ of snow in Boston, but there was no snow. The beautiful but naive anchor lady asked the weather man, “Hi Tony, what happened to the 8″ (double meaning, sex and exaggerated) you promised me last night?” The whole staff in the set laughed so loudly that they’ve to go on commercial for the next hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment